Camera Shots Commentary on Peer work

I chose to comment on Laura and Maddie's blog posts. 

     The head on shot, close-up, low angle shot, and establishing shot on Laura's blog stood out the most to me. The head-on shot made me feel present in the filming process, as the dog ran up to the camera. I also thought this was funny and cute in the dog's expression running to its owner. I also really enjoyed the close-up shot. Focusing the camera's attention to the deliberate actions of the subject makes me pay attention to the clip. This type of shot can be used in film to show the details to the audience, while it still may be hidden from the other characters in the scene. It also humanizes the film by focusing on the simple act of writing that the subject is doing. The low-angle shot was very interesting to me. The subject, a palm tree, looks intimidating and strong from below. The subtle breeze that moves the pawn fronds was an effective component of the shot as well. The contrast of the sky made the palm tree stand out in the shot. Finally, the establishing shot drew my attention. This type of shot is used in lots of movies and tv shows to introduce the audience to the setting. In this case, the setting is Marco Island right before sunset, so the sky has lots of pretty colors, like a watercolor painting. The sound of the cars makes it obvious that the shot was taken on a bridge, overlooking the city from a higher angle. 

     On Maddie's, the pan shot, extreme long shot, the cutaway, and the dolly shot were my favorites. I noted that the pan shot made the viewer feel as if they were there because of the bustle of activity going on in the video. The natural elements were highlighted in the video very well. Maddie also kept the camera very steady while filming, which impressed me. I also really liked the extreme long shot. The subject was far away, and I could feel their movement towards the camera. The scenery was beautiful, and the lighting was cool in the way it poked out in the corner. Even though I was far from the subject, I could experience the thrill and fear that the zip-liner must have felt. I really enjoyed the cutaway shot because it lets the viewer know what's going on around the subject. I think this shot can be used in a comedic or serious context. Maddie did a good job in focusing on the subject, transferring the focus to a moving vehicle, then coming back to the subject again. Lastly, I was impressed by the dolly shot. As if on a real set of tracks, the clip follows the gate directly to the sight of the phone. It also added the point of view type of shot in speaking to the subject and seeing the response. 
     Overall, I really enjoyed this assignment because I was able to see the different shots that my classmates created. 

Comments