5 Master Shots

This assignment taught me the complexity of filming. I was able to appreciate the five master edits better by creating my own versions of each. For contrast, my partner and I filmed each other. The shots go back and forth between an organized, productive student to a disorganized, confused one. Contrast edits distinguish two shots very well because they are shown right after each other, and emphasize the difference. Our version of parallelism follows two people walking. They have the same stride and are walking in a similar setting of a hallway. Eventually they run into each other after several alternating shots. We used symbolism to emphasize the connection between trees and paper products. We took shots of the tree and paper, going back and forth between them. Symbolism edits are a great way to share a deeper meaning. Simultaneity is used when there are two unrelated actions going on at the same time. In our case, we see a fight happening in school while another student is walking benevolently through the door. The final master edit we did was Leit Motif. Leit Motif is most effective when a certain musical melody is played. The audience expects a certain action to take place and recognizes the song with the action. We played scary music and had the camera walk through a seemingly safe hallway to find a subject jump out and scream! Overall, I enjoyed learning how to use the 5 master editing techniques this week!

Comments

  1. wow just amazing! how do you do it, simply out of words...#1 cinematic motion picture of the year! But in all seriousness, i like how you use different ideas for some the technique,for example,how you use contrast to show the audience the different between a disorganized student and a organized student rather then just copying straight from Miss.Henderson example video. By this blog it seem as if you a full understanding of the whole topic very well this past week and done an excelling job showcasing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots were very engaging to me because of the twist that you were able to put on the various shots. The leit motif was my favorite shot because it was able to add a surprising factor to the camera even though the full body was not in the lens of the camera. The symbolism edit was also interesting to me as you turned a tree with no meaning in the background of the camera into the main focus of the shot. These edits showed me different techniques that I can use in the future because I had not seen these such methods in the many editing shots that we had to do. Thanks for broadening my perspective and deepening my knowledge with this great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shots were very engaging to me because of the twist that you were able to put on the various shots. The leit motif was my favorite shot because it was able to add a surprising factor to the camera even though the full body was not in the lens of the camera. The symbolism edit was also interesting to me as you turned a tree with no meaning in the background of the camera into the main focus of the shot. These edits showed me different techniques that I can use in the future because I had not seen these such methods in the many editing shots that we had to do. Thanks for broadening my perspective and deepening my knowledge with this great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment